Monday, July 25, 2011

I Love Noho

After checking out of of gigantic suite in the glorious, tiny state of Rhode Island, we packed up our goods and headed westward through Connecticut and into Massachusetts. One place I've always wanted to visit is Brimfield, Massachusetts, where they have thrift/flea/antique exhibits filled to the Brim with goods, treasures, and probably blue Pyrex. To my dismay, we missed the last exhibit by one weekend and had nothing to see in this sleepy section of MA. However, I was/am determined to thrift my way through New England, and we stumbled upon the super cute town of Putnam, CT. 

To my greatest pleasure and surprise, this is what we found:


Is this for real?!? I was OBSESSED with the Boxcar Children series when I was little--I hunted feverishly for every book in the library, read the series over and over, and could only dream of running away from home with some much-cooler siblings where we'd camp out and have adventures via boxcar. Sadly (?), this is as far or close as I've gotten to a boxcar since (and the museum was closed, i.e., mega bummer). 


Nonetheless, I was still v excited about this discovery.


Putnam is very cool and has a ton of antique/thrift stores. One of the first ones we found had an entire wing dedicated to weird movie memorabilia that the owner's son has collected over the years. Here is one of the creatures from Men In Black (or so they say). 


Who wouldn't want 50,000 creepy face molds of old, dead celebrities?


From here, we moved on to the mother load of antique shops. It was three stories, not including nooks + crannies, and full of cool junk. I got a pile of silk/cotton old-lady handkerchiefs for $1 and my mom almost escaped with an awesome birdcage on a stand. Unfortunately, Norberta was no match for this sucker, and it was too long to fit in the car. We tried sticking it out the window, sans cage, but it was a no-go. I guess some things aren't meant to be. 


Finally (finally!!!!) we made it to Northampton and into the arms of the one and only most fabulous Alex M, a lady I love, adore, and admire like few on this planet. Her new apartment is the most amazingly cute and well-decorated pad I've ever seen--so put together. So shabby chic fabulous. So perfectly Jane Austen-fied, with just a hint of Kilt Lifter. LOVED IT. While I was THRILLED to see Alex's new home, I was more thrilled to just be within 50 miles of one of the most brilliant people I know. Alex recommended that my mom and I eat at one of her favorite spots (Paul & Elizabeths), got us *free* tickets to a strange little movie (Beginners) at her adorable Pleasant Street Theater, and was her usual bubbly, hospitable, charming, sweet self. 


Obviously, this is where she works. Only a perfectly crafted gingerbread house will do.


I also met Everett Kensington, and he is just as handsome in person.


After our movie (and Junior Mints/seltzer), my mom and I grabbed a hotel and got ready to spend the next day in Noho. We traipsed up and down the little town's streets and especially loved the store Pinch.  My mom saw this sign and said, "Oh! This is what Alex needs in her house!" I agree. 


Well-read birds.


Thirsty wind chimes.


We met up for lunch and dodged the rain, and I loved every minute. Although Alex had to work all day, she still managed to gorge on quesadillas, drink some cheap wine, and sob her way through a showing of Harry Potter. A million thanks to Alexandra for being a wonderful hostess (as usual) and sending us on our way through the beautiful Northeast!


Next up...Catskills? Poughkeepsie? Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment