Thursday, August 11, 2011

I'm On A Mission

...to find the best Southern cornbread recipe known to woman. All this Twain talk about cracklin' bread and a "scenery of ham and eggs" and homemade churned butter and "the look of an apple that is roasting and sizzling on a hearth on a winter's evening....and the comfort that comes of eating it hot, along with some sugar and a drench of cream" is making me want to unearth my aprons and get.to.mixing.

I've always had a mild obsession with cornbread, even if it's the super-easy Jiffy kind that's been spruced up with corn kernels and chopped jalapenos. It takes great restraint to keep from eating the entire batch, especially when it's straight out of the oven and globbed with a huge, gooey slab of butter (mmmm...cornbread....).  
Does anyone know of a particularly good recipe? I don't care how much cornmeal, flour, buttermilk, lard, chicken fat, sugar, salt, corn syrup, frogs legs, or time that it takes--this is serious. As my mother would say, "I betcha a cookie" I won't have to look much further/farther/fuckit than the living, breathing cornbread-personified machine that is Paula Dean. Mrs. Dean appears to have had one or two cornbread muffins over her culinary lifetime and I want in on her secrets.

As with all of my favorite foods, I will require offensive amounts of garlic and onions, as well as any and all peppers I can get my hands on (preferably free). Other suggestions are gladly welcome. In the meantime, I will remain diligent and on the hunt; I suggest you do the same.

Amen, sistah.
xxx,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment