Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Walls Start Shaking, the Earth Was Quaking...

Nothing like a tiny natural disaster to put little ole Louisa on the map for good. Yes, it's true: The Lou took a lead role in Tuesday's festivities and shook, rattled, and rolled itself onto the national news. I had just gotten back to my office on the 11th floor when the building started swaying and the usual maniacal chaos that is my coworkers began running, true stampede-style, to the stairwell. People were crying, shoes were flying, and I was worried we might lose a few around floor 9 when bodies began to feel the toll of exercise for the first time in decades.

But, we made it out alive and even got to leave work early. Score! especially considering it was absolute perfection outside.

Poor Louisa, on the other hand, didn't fare as well. The high school is effed; chimneys have crumbled, and the Cuckoo House had some damage. Luckily, my parents' ancient farm house stood strong and they only lost a few pieces of glassware/trinkets. They've had several aftershocks since, but it looks like the Lou was pretty lucky. Even North Anna managed to lock it up and not spew its nuclear nasties all over town. Good job, team.

Now, with all this commotion there have obviously been some brilliant interviews featuring Louisa's finest, and let me just say--they have been making my life. I never realized how much of an accent Central Virginia has but dang durn tootin yall, it's bad. Perhaps my favorite comment came from a woman who described her house as, "doin' the hula!" Yes. We may be rural. We may be toothless. But you better gosh durn believe that we know an earthquake when we feel it!

The Epicenter of Doom.

Cuckoo. She's a brick house, but she ain't got nothin' on 5.8.


Thank God Eric Cantor, with his finely combed hair and perfectly white teeth, was there to offer comfort in a time of need. Barf.


NOT THE FOOD LION NOOOOOOO!

LCHS

School's out for-evah.
(PS. there's my old locker circa 2004, holla!).


Hate to see that.


Umm, wtf. Even the mannequin heads in LCHS's "beauty department" didn't stand a chance.

But, if I had to pick one headline that sums up the sheer terror of the day, it would have to be:

Thank god the housewives are ok. I was srsly stressed. Anyway, it's been a wild ride around these parts, but hopefully things will calm down soon. In the meantime, brace yourselves for Irene, because she looks pissed.

xxxx, Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Yo, this earthquake, the crazy thunderstorms, and looming Irene are no laughing matter. It's Doomsday here in rural Central Va so watch your back, NOVA.

    On a lighter note, I miss you, and LOVE your blog (even the portrayal of little ol' Louisa)!

    I love that we made national news headlines. xo

    ReplyDelete